European Kurds to establish Consultation Summit
by Roni Alasor
Brussels, 17 October 2017 - Middle East Diplomatic (MED) - 270 representatives of more than 30 Kurdish political parties and organisations from four parts of Kurdistan and Europe gathered in Eindhoven, Holland, to discuss future prospects for Kurdish unity. Among the participants were many politicians, academicians, journalists and civil society activists.
The two days workshop organised by Kurdish National Congress (KNK) is a part of series of events preparing for Kurdish national unity conference. Earlier KNK also organised similar workshops for Kurdish unity. The First Consultation Summit was held on 15-16 July 2017 in Silêmanî, South Kurdistan. The Second Summit, which aimed for Rojhilat-East Kurdistan, was held on 16-17 September 2017, in Stockholm, Sweden. The Third Consultation Summit, aimed at Rojava-West Kurdistan, was held on 1-2 October 2017.
According KNK, after this range of conferences series, the Final Consultation Summit will be held to discuss an overall unification. It will also elect an organising committee to prepare for the General Congress of Kurdistan.
In its final resolution, the participants at Consultation Summit called for unity and support for fundamental Kurdish rights in Iran, Syria, Turkey and backed the Kurdish self determination rights in Kurdistan (Iraq).
Below are some points of the final resolution:
- The colonial political powers are on the attack against Kurdish people with their anti-Kurdish politics. Against these attacks, Kurdish organization should come together and form a strong unity for defence of Kurdistan
- A dialogue should be established between Rojava and Southern Kurdistan against the attacks and the blockade.
- The Southern Kurdistan’s decision for a referendum is a right and it’s legit. The attacks by Baghdad cannot be justified by any means. Baghdad has to respect the decision of the people and should opt for dialogue.
- The international powers should take a stand against the attacks of Turkey and Iran and support the decision of people of Kurdistan.
- Our workshop condemns the Turkish attacks against Rojava and strongly support gains of Kurdish people in Rojava.
- Our workshop calls for immediate release of Kurdish leader Abdullah Ocalan and all political prisoners. We also call on Turkey to give the municipalities back to the elected mayors.
- Our workshop calls on Iran to stop its oppression against Kurds and release of all political prisoners.